It was one of those crazy days yesterday. Those days where you just have to laugh at the way things happen and fall into place.
Kevin got a phone call from the daycare saying that Rocky had three bouts of diarrhea. This was his fourth day in a row of this so we were really starting to worry. We had already emailed our doctor the night before and she asked us to bring him in, which Kev was going to do anyway, but now I found myself wanting to be there as well. That meant I had to leave right away after school and meet up with them.
Kev picked Rocky up right at daycare, but somewhere during the day he had managed to lose his socks and they couldn't find them. This really doesn't surprise me...the kid takes his socks off ALL of the time and leaves them in random places. He had also gone through ALL of his extra clothes at daycare-I guess it was a messy day-so he was totally mismatched.
The doctor's office turned out okay, but afterward I had errands to run. I was in charge of buying all of the items for a coffee/chocolate basket that our high school was going to donate to the school's silent auction on Friday and I had to get it done then. Kevin needed to go back to work and get things done, so I had Rocky with me. We were off to the mall, and when I got there I realized I didn't have a diaper bag, I didn't have a stroller, I had nothing really!
I was that mom! You know the one! The harried one whose kid is totally mismatched that is scrambling around trying to find things. First of all, I had to rent a stroller from customer service because I knew I couldn't carry Rocky and everything I needed to buy all over the mall. Then, Rocky started acting hungry-I had no snack. I booked it to Walmart and bought him a banana. Then he wanted "Waa waa (water)." Off to Starbucks to get a cup of water, which he then proceeded to spill all over himself. So there I was, in the run down car stroller, with a soaking wet kid that had banana smeared on his face and nothing to change him into.
You know what? It didn't even matter at all. Rocky was BEYOND adorable. He was in such a great mood, and I think just so happy to be with me! He made car noises as we "drove" his stroller all over the mall. When I bought the banana and peeled it open and handed it to him he gleefully SQUEALED "Nana! NANA!" making everyone around us smile. As we got on and off of the elevator he would yell "Ellllooooo! (hello)" as the doors opened and wave at whomever was getting on or off, again causing big smiles on their faces. He flirted with the woman at the jewelry store when I was getting my ring cleaned making her smile hugely. His mismatched and soaking wet clothes and banana face totally didn't matter because his huge smile far outweighed and outshone ANY of that other stuff. It was a great hour at the mall with my boy. As we returned the stroller to customer service and left, I held him in my arms. I said, "Rocky, who do you love!?" He beamed and replied, "Mama!" with a sloppy, wet kiss on my cheek.
The night continued...
We got home late because of everything that was happening. I was making homemade pizza for dinner, and I got it accomplished, but we were eating late. We were just starting to get the boys bathed and ready for bed. Although it was later than normal I was thinking, "Hopefully we can just get them to bed a little late." As I was waiting to do Rusty's bath while Kev did Rocky's, I was playing Supermarket in the dining room with Rusty. I kept thinking I was hearing running water, but would glance into the kitchen and the tap was off. Finally, I got up and walked in and found a HUGE puddle of water spreading throughout the kitchen. It had already run under the stove and was heading for the fridge and pouring out of the dishwasher. I yelled for Kevin and said, "Rusty! Get some towels!" He was so cute and helpful and RAN to the linen closet and came back with two tea towels. Little sweethart! Kev brought bigger towels while I tried to figure out what was going on. I shut off the dishwasher but water kept pouring in...and then out.
Two hours later we finally had all of the water cleaned up, including the water that had poured into our basement through the two holes that had the stove and dishwasher electrical cords running down. Oy. We had shut off the water valve to the dishwasher and determined that we would be having a repairman in today! Rusty and Rocky got to bed only two hours later than their normal bedtime...yikes!
Regardless, again, I just had to laugh and smile, several times. I laughed as Rusty gave me his theory as to why the dishwasher was leaking-"Mommy! There must be holes in it!" I laughed as Rusty and Rocky crouched down on the ground with their papa to look underneath the dishwasher with a flashlight. They looked like two super cute little plumbers. I laughed as Rusty said, "OH MOMMY! Don't WORRY! I will get you more towels!" I smiled as Rocky yelled out "PAPA! PAPA! PAPA!" from his crib-where we temporarily placed him to keep him out of the water, yet he knew from his Papa's voice when he was there and wanted to see him like RIGHT NOW! I laughed as Rusty got on his boots and tromped around in the water in the basement "helping" his dad clean up. Yes, I laughed...and I smiled...even in the middle of chaos.
I think that is what you really have to do! You just have to stop and laugh and smile on those days when things seem crazy, chaotic and all out of whack. I know it certainly made my day better. I am glad that I stopped what I was doing to take a picture of my Rocky in the middle of the mall. I am thankful that I had the presence of mind to stop in the middle of the madness and snap a picture of the two boys crouched down looking under the dishwasher with their papa. Those are actually going to be priceless and I will remember that rather than the frustration over the pool of water flooding my kitchen.
Yep, the next time I have one of those days I will try to remember to simply smile!
Wednesday, May 30, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Our Life
Good Reads
-
-
Summertime Sweets4 weeks ago
-
-
-
R3 says8 years ago
-
-
-
-
Welcome Back!13 years ago
-
-
A Milestone Celebration11 years ago
-
Plum Cake6 days ago
-
-
Catching the Good.11 years ago

Smiling can be hard sometimes, but it feels better than freaking out, doesn't it?
ReplyDeleteOh...and I think I am always THAT mom, hahaha!!