Sunday, September 07, 2014

It's his birthday and we adore him.

Today it's his birthday.  I don't think he will mind if I tell you that he is 38.  Thirty eight!  How did we get to this point?  It's not really that old, but I when I met Kev he was a young lad of just 25.  Actually, 25 is pretty old.  I think I got ripped off in the fact that I didn't even know that the man I would come to love so much was alive and walking around on this Earth for 25 years without me even knowing it.  Anyway, I digress.

Today is his birthday.  On his birthday we like to spoil him.  The boys and I made him a special banner and breakfast in bed and he is still currently lounging there.  He deserves it...right now he gets up every morning with the boys while I sleep late-a good man!



I find it hard to express how much I love this man.  It's funny, when you date someone, then get engaged to them and marry them you think that you know how much you love them.  You think that you could never love them anymore than you do on your wedding day.  And then...

And then you go on vacations together and go through snafus and get frustrated but still come out laughing on the other side and ten years down the road talk about "Remember that time?" in a way that only the two of you can understand.





And then you try to have babies together...and fail.  And he holds you while you cry at the loss of your unborn child and he cries with you and prays with you...every single time that it happens.  And then you actually are blessed to have a child that makes it, and your husband, who rarely cries, cries at the birth of each one.


And then you buy a house together and you debate pros and cons and you figure out a place that works for you and you watch this man, who did not grow up learning skills for being handy around the house, as he works hard to learn new skills and lays a tile floor and builds bookshelves and puts up backsplash because he knows it is important to you.

And then you build friendships together.  You meet new people as a couple and they become important in your life.  You watch him in the action of being a friend...and he is good at it, and is loved.


And then you raise children together.  You watch him as he cradles them gently as newborns, changes diapers, gets up with them in the night, hugs them, kisses them, plays with them, tells them daily that he loves them.  You watch as he builds this incredible relationship with his sons and they both call him their best buddy and they always want to be with him and play with him.  You watch as other kids flock to him because he is so much fun and will always take the time to make them feel important.



And you sit in an ultrasound with him, awaiting the news...will this miracle baby, this third child that we thought we would never have be his long awaited baby girl?  You cry when they say that it is, you cry because you know how he longed for that daughter and both of his sons.  You cry because you get to see his dreams be realized.
And you walk by his side as he does a million little things...simply because he loves you and is committed to you.  He takes out the garbage, he does the laundry, he cleans the floors, he even gets a dog...something he has never done because he knows it matters to you!

Yes, as I have gone through life with Kevin, this amazing man that God has blessed me with as a spouse, a best friend, my love...I have been amazed.  I love the journey we have had together.  We have definitely had hardships, but we have also had so, so much joy.  I am thankful for the opportunity to be by his side and watch him grow.  I love seeing him love on our kids, our friends, his parents.  I love seeing strength grow in him.  I love seeing him draw closer to the Lord, loving God and trusting Him and teaching our children how to do the same.  Every year I get so excited for this day, September 7, because it is a day to celebrate the birth of the man that is my love and that I am so thankful for.  Happy birthday my love...we adore you! (And this officially counts as your card because I know you hate having to keep the cards around because it creates clutter...thanks for always getting me one because you know I love it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers